- US Secretary of War, Newton D Baker, blindfolded, draws the first number in the lottery for the first American draftees, as prescribed under the Selective Service Act 1917.
- The Leader publishes the latest casualty list. The list includes Narromine brothers Charles Henry Whiteley and Richard James Whiteley
- Alexander Fyodorovich Kerensky succeeds Prince Georgy Yevgenyevich Lvov as Prime Minister of Russia
- Record heat is recorded at Baghdad as the temperature exceeds 50.5 degrees Celsius
- The Leader publishes The Kaiser’s Revised Prayer
Mine Gott will you be mine partner,
You don’t know who I am
I am de German Kaiser,
De Emperor Will-I-Yam.
You know I whipped dem Belgians
Und mitt bullets filled Russia full;
Und I’ll whip France and Italy
Und blow up Johnny Bull.
Now all dem other nations,
I don’t give a dam;
If you’ll but be my partner
Und whip dot Uncle Sam.
You know I got dem submarines,
All Europe knows that well;
But dot Edison got a patent now
Vot blows dem all to hell.
Now Gott, if you do this,
Den you I will always love,
Und I will be emperor of de earth.
Und you emperor above.
But Gott if you refuse me dis,
To-morrow night at ‘leven,
I’ll call my Zeppelins out
Und declare war on heaven.
I wouldn’t ask this from you,
But it can be plainly seen,
Dot when Edison pushes dot button,
I got no submarine.