1 February 1917
- Day 920 of the war
- Robertson Johnson dies of disease in England
- Germany resumes unrestricted submarine warfare in waters around the British Isles. The new rules of engagement specify that no allied ship is to be left afloat; Germany aims to cut off all imports, and starve the Britain into submission.
- British troops capture all but the last line of Turkish trenches near Kut-al-Amara, taking 166 prisoners, and repulsing a strong counter-attack
- German submarine UC-45 torpedoes the Dutch cargo ship SS Gamma in the Atlantic Ocean off Land’s End, Cornwall. The Gamma sinks, her crew are rescued by Dutch vessel SS Vondel
- The Norwegian Government forbids all foreign submarines to enter Norwegian territorial waters
This entry was posted on February 1st, 2017.