- Ruby Baker receives several letters from her husband William, written from Egypt, but now in France. Australians in France
- German airship LZ-85 is brought down by British gunfire at Salonika. The entire 12 man crew including Commander Hauptmann Ernst Scherzer survive the crash and set fire to the wreck.
- The Empire Day committee in Orange meets to discuss arrangements for the celebration of Empire Day on 24 May. It is decided that any funds raised will be donated to the returned soldiers’ fund. Empire Day
- After a fierce artillery bombardment lasting two days and one night German forces secure a foothold on the French defence post of Cote 304 in the Battle of Verdun
- Russian forces defeat the Turks at Sermil in Persia
- The Leader claims:
“Although Orange has sent a large number of soldiers to the war, it is a remarkable fact that the town still teems with burly members of the cold-footed brigade, who like to lean up against the hotel verandah posts…Go to the drill hall to-day and offer yourselves like men.”