- Day 770 of the war
- William George Chrystall dies of wounds in France
- British forces take Dar-es-Salaam, capital of German East Africa
- Prime Minister, Billy Hughes, pays tribute to Bill Johnson, who he describes as being:
inspired by an indomitable resolve to fight for the country that made him what he was … Australia never need despair while it breeds such men, and the spirit of the race will never die while we have men like Bill Johnson in our midst.
- Residents of Millthorpe farewell William Andrew Caldwell and Guy Arkins on the eve of their departure for overseas service. Soldiers’ Presentations
- The French offensive continues on the Somme front from Barleux to the south of Chaulnes
- Troops under the command of General Aleksei Brusilov are successful at Zlota Lipa on the Eastern Front; 19,000 prisoners are captured over four days