- James Commins enlists. James is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would be killed in action in France on 3 May 1917.
- James Budge enlists. James is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would be killed in action in France on 5 May 1917.
- The Seventh Battle of the Isonzo ends in north-eastern Italy. Italy sustains 17,000 casualties during the four day battle, Austria-Hungary 15,000.
- Franco-Russian troops enter Florina in Macedonia
- British aeroplanes bomb an enemy aerodrome in the Shumran bend near Kut-al-Amara
- British troops conduct a raid at Birel Tawal in Suez
- The Leader publishes An Appeal To Our Boys, written by Alice Dein, the 16 year old niece of Orange stonemason Jack McMurtrie
O! fair sons of fair Australia,
Quick arise and prove your worth;
Help your comrades keep unsullied
The great freedom of your birth.
Can’t you see it is your duty
To help guard our country free?
Do not leave it till conscription
Forces you across the sea.
Are the deaths of our brave heroes—
Slaughtered at the Dardanelles—
To be passed all unregarded?
Won’t you face the bursting shells?
Could you listen to the stories,
Told you by some wounded brave
Hear the way Huns treat the women,
And not lend a hand to save?
Take up rifles, young Australians;
Leave for lands that pine for you.
Now, as in the days of Nelson,
Each man must his duty do.