- Day 525 of the war
- The Leader publishes Christmas greetings received from Con Dempsey at Gallipoli. He says that water is in very short supply, and in order to have a bath he must save water for several days. Con recently enjoyed a bath, prompting a mate to write a poem to mark the occasion.
- Winston Churchill attends a lecture on the Battle of Loos in the Belgian town of Hazebrouck. He describes the situation to his wife Clementine as one of
hopeless failure, of sublime heroism utterly wasted and of splendid Scottish soldiers shorn away in vain with never the ghost of a chance of success
- Bad weather hampers the British relief force nearing Kut-al-Amara in Mesopotamia
- King Peter of Serbia arrives at Edipsos in Greece where he spends several months in exile
- Turks retreat towards Erzerum
- Russian forces recapture the Armenian city of Keuprikeui