- Prime Minister Hughes introduces the Military Service Referendum Bill to Parliament for the first time. The Bill would not be passed until 23 September.
- The Leader reports on the recent unveiling of the Millthorpe Methodist Church Honour Roll. Unveiling Roll Of Honor
- President of France, Raymond Poincare, presents Verdun with the Legion d’Honneur
- British troops occupy the village of Mikindani in German East Africa
- The Leader publishes “An Appeal”
Men, men, more men to fight for France,
For Allies and liberties of all mankind!
Australians, would ye ever lag behind?
Great God, you’d surely rather grasp your chance,
Of loftiest, god-like glory to advance
And save your sisters, brothers, from the blind,
Insensate fury of yon murderous fiend,
Than rot, or die, in primrose dalliance.
The still, small voice of conscience, duty, calls,
And great guns thunder, “Come, if ye are men!”
Go forth, then, stalwart youths, be glad it falls
To you unsought, rejoice exceedingly
To be the saviours of humanity—
Not doomed to old age, weakness, and a pen.