27 April 1916
- Day 625 of the war
- Captain Thomas Edward Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) and two other British officers meet in secret with Turkish General Kahlil Pasha in a last ditch attempt to negotiate the escape of British troops under siege at Kut-al-Amara in Mesopotamia. British attempt to bargain with Turks over Kut
- German forces launch the first of two cloud gas attacks on British troops south of Hulluch in northern France. The attack results in 550 British casualties.
- Russian forces continue to gain ground in the Bitlis region of eastern Turkey
- British forces occupy Moghara Oasis, 145km south-west of Alexandria
- Britain imposes martial law throughout Ireland in an attempt to quell the Easter Rising
- British battleship HMS Russell strikes two German mines as she leaves Malta Grand Harbour for Cattaro. 126 sailors die; 625 are rescued.
This entry was posted on April 27th, 2016.