7 August 1915
- The 3rd Australian Light Horse Brigade attacks Turkish trenches at The Nek, only to be mown down by machine-gun fire: 375 of the 600-strong Brigade become casualties, with 234 dead. Charles Bean would later write:
The flower of the youth of Victoria and Western Australia fell in that attempt
- Joseph George Thew is killed in action at the Battle of Lone Pine
- Henry George Eardley Rotton is killed in action at the Battle of Lone Pine
- British forces make little headway at Suvla, while forces in the Sari Bair range also fail to seize their objectives
- The Leader runs the following notice:
This entry was posted on August 7th, 2015.