5 November 1914
- Henry George enlists. Henry is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would die of disease at sea on 11 May 1915.
- German colonial forces, led by General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, defeat the British at the Battle of Tanga. Lettow-Vorbeck would prove to be a formidable General; he won every battle he fought, and his campaign in East Africa was Germany’s longest of World War I; Lettow-Vorbeck did not surrender until November 25, 1918, two weeks after armistice.
- Great Britain and France formally declare war on Turkey
- Great Britain annexes Cyprus
- The Belgian Government rejects Papal mediation
This entry was posted on November 5th, 2014.