30 October 1916
- Walter Leslie Starr enlists. Walter is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would die of wounds in France on 1 September 1918.
- Counting continues in the Conscription Referendum with “The Noes In The Lead”
- The Leader reports that polling day in Orange passed relatively peacefully and was well attended due to the fine weather. Polling Day In Orange
- Deluges of rain and mud continue to restrict movement on the Somme battlefield
- French soldiers take trenches north-west of Sailly-Saillisel while the Germans retake the northern part of La Maisonnette to the south
- German and Turkish soldiers repel Russian troops near River Narajowka in Galicia
- Violent fighting continues along in the Cherna region of the Southern Front
- Lieutenant-General Hermann Christlieb Matthäus von Stein succeeds Lieutenant-General Adolf Wild von Hohenborn as German Minister for War
This entry was posted on October 30th, 2016.