3 January 1917
- William James Garvey is killed in action in France
- Lieutenant Wear of the British Expeditionary Force writes to Annie Warburton of East Orange to inform her of son, Basil Nicholls’, last hours. On 22 April 1916 Basil became the first soldier from the Orange district to die on the Western Front. The Late Private Nicholls – News Of His Last Hours
- Friends of Robert Henry Strahan meet at the Orange Town Hall to present him with a wristlet watch and wish him a safe return from the war. Pte Bert Strahan
- The Hibernian Australian Catholic Benefit Society donates 25% of the takings of the most recent race meeting to the Returned Soldiers’ Local Fund
- German forces capture Focsani in Romania
- The first units of the Portuguese Expeditionary Force land at Brest in France
This entry was posted on January 3rd, 2017.