26 January 1917
- The Leader reports that former mayor of Orange, Dr Neville Howse has been awarded the Order of the Bath – Knight Commander (KCB). This honour is awarded to senior military officers for services in action; Sir Howse’s was one of only eight KCBs issued to Australians in WWI. Surgeon General Sir NR Howse KCB CB VC
- The Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) plans to use some of the £150,000 donated to the organisation by Australians to open an office in London. The office will be located in The Strand, adjacent to Australia House and will render personal service to Australian troops in London. YMCA Work Abroad
- The Australian Hall in Orange hosts a second series of lectures by survivors of the Gallipoli campaign. Anzac Entertainers
- French troops on the Western Front regain most of the recently lost ground near Verdun
- British soldiers recapture lost trenches near Kut-al-Amara in Mesopotamia
This entry was posted on January 26th, 2017.