26 August 1914
- The Battle of Tannenburg begins. The battle between the Russian 2nd Army and the German 8th Army lasts until 30 August; the Germans are victorious.
- The Battle of Le Cateau ensues as Germany attacks retreating French and British forces. The Allies are successful in their retreat.
- The French towns of Cambrai and Douai are occupied by German forces
- The French towns of Noyon and Longwy are taken by German forces
- The Russian army is defeated at Masurian Lakes in Poland
This entry was posted on August 26th, 2014.