24 August 1916
- The people of Orange celebrate Wattle Day by making donations to the war effort
- The Australian Comforts Fund (ACF) is officially inaugurated to coordinate the activities of the various State patriotic funds established in 1914 to collect money to send comfort parcels to service personnel overseas
- British troops continue their advance towards Thiepval in the northern Somme
- French soldiers capture the village of Maurepas and repulse violent German counter-attacks to the south
- Russian forces reoccupy Mush and Bitlis in Armenia following their ousting by Turkish troops on 24 August. 2,300 Turks are taken prisoner
- Nine people are killed and forty injured as German zeppelins raid the English coastline
This entry was posted on August 24th, 2016.