23 October 1916
- Former Prime Minister of Australia, Chris Watson addresses the women of Orange regarding the impending Conscription Referendum
- Reginald Gordon Perry sends a souvenir to his father in Orange: a belt embellished with metal badges of the various regiments fighting in France and Egypt. A War Curio
- British troops advance towards Le Transloy, capturing almost one kilometre of enemy trenches
- A German aeroplane raids Margate on the north-east Kent coast, dropping four bombs The third bomb shattered several windows and the fourth damaged the roof of St George’s Hotel, demolishing the chimney stack. Two people are injured; £229 damage is inflicted.
- General Sir Charles Macpherson Dobell assumes command of Eastern Force in Sinai
This entry was posted on October 23rd, 2016.