23 February 1916
- Herbert Vincent McGrath enlists. Herbert is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would be killed in action in France on 21 November 1916.
- Bathurst Military Camp continues to expand; recruits now number about 1,200. Bathurst Military Camp
- French soldiers evacuate Bois des Caures, Ornes and Samogneux as Germans forces capture 3,000 prisoners in the Battle of Verdun
- General Jan Smuts arrives at Nairobi
- The Portuguese government seizes 36 Austrian and German ships that have been moored the River Tagus in Lisbon since the beginning of the war. Crews are taken prisoner and the Portuguese flag is hoisted.
This entry was posted on February 23rd, 2016.