22 September 1916
- British troops continue their advance to the east of Courcelette on the Western Front
- Former draftsman with the Orange Lands Office, Herbert Henry Percy, sends word from the front. He describes the new Lewis automatic machine gun and claims that in a years’ time “we will just about have the Germans on the run”. Soldiers Letters
- More than 1,000 people gather in Robertson Park to welcome home Malcolm Herbert Stewart from overseas duty. Welcome Home to Sgt. Major Stewart. Malcolm describes his experience at the Battle of Lone Pine and declares that the kindness of nurses “knows no bounds”. Sergeant-Major M Stewart
- The Canadian government announces the number of Canadian casualties to date: 8,644 dead, 27,212 wounded and 2,005 missing
- The Turkish garrison at Taif in the Hejaz surrenders to Arab forces
This entry was posted on September 22nd, 2016.