21 August 2014
- Oswald Cecil Jeffrey Baylis enlists. Oswald is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would be killed in action at Gallipoli on 2 May 1915.
- Harold William Corkett enlists. Harold is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would die of wounds at Gallipoli on 2 May 1915.
- The Battle of Charleroi begins, a phase of the Battle of the Frontiers. The French plan an attack across the Sambre River, when the Germans launch an attack of their own. The Germans are victorious.
- German forces begin to attack Namur in Belgium
- German forces from German South-West Africa cross the frontier of British South Africa
- The British Government issues orders for the raising of the first New Army of six Divisions
- The Battle of the Ardennes begins, a phase of the Battle of the Frontiers. The battle takes place over three days in the Ardennes forest in France. There are many casualties and losses of both German and French soldiers. Germany is victorious.
This entry was posted on August 21st, 2014.