18 August 1916
- Ernest Edward Tandy enlists. Ernest is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would die of wounds in France on 4 September 1918.
- The Leader reports the death of Valentine Edward Lohan in France. Another Orange Soldier Killed
- French soldiers take the village of Fleury near Verdun and make progress at Thiaumont
- Builders, labourers, gardeners and other interested parties are invited to attend a meeting at the Foresters’ Hall to discuss the construction of a home for returned soldiers in Orange. Homes For Heroes
- The Leader reports that the Foresters’ Hall will be open next Thursday to receive donations and Christmas gifts for Orange soldiers at the front. Xmas Boxes For The Boys At The Front
- French troops take part of Maurepas and advance to the south-east, while repelling violent German counter-attacks north of the town
- Brigadier General Edward Northey occupies Lupembe in East Africa (present day Tanzania)
This entry was posted on August 18th, 2016.