17 July 1917
- The Royal Australian Naval Brigade Minesweeping Section is established. The section is responsible for all minesweeping activities in Australian waters during WWI.
- King George V renounces his German heritage; by royal proclamation he changes the name of the British Royal Family from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor
- British troops on the Western Front conduct successful raids in the Ypres sector
- French forces regain lost positions north-west of Verdun
- Russian troops on the Eastern Front hold their positions in Galicia against German counter attacks
- The people of Petrograd take to the streets to protest against escalating hardships. Fighting in the streets of Petrograd, Russia
This entry was posted on July 17th, 2017.