1 November 1916
- 16 year old Ernest Lachlan Powter – the youngest known recruit from Orange – dies of wounds in France
- Charles William Smith enlists. Charles is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would be killed in action in Belgium on 4 October 1917.
- Residents of Millthorpe gather at the Methodist Church to farewell Walter Garnett Bennett prior to his departure for overseas service. Presentations And Farewell
- French soldiers repulse a German attack on Sailly-Saillisel on the Somme
- Allied troops advance north-east of Lesboeufs
- German soldiers evacuate Fort Vaux at Verdun
This entry was posted on November 1st, 2016.