1 January 1916
- ANZAC troops return to camp in Egypt where large numbers of Australian reinforcements are massing. The AIF undergoes a major expansion over the coming months, with the establishment of a further three infantry divisions – the 3rd, 4th and 5th – as well as the Anzac Mounted Division.
- Ernest Henry Richard Guest enlists. Ernest is commemorated on the Centenary of WWI in Orange Honour Roll; he would be killed in action in France on 3 May 1917.
- Joseph Murray of the Royal Naval Division at Helles records in his diary:
The beginning of the New Year. It looks much the same as the old one and shells instead of bells heralded it in.
- British forces under the command of General Sir Charles Macpherson Dobell capture Yaunde in the Cameroons
- King Peter of Serbia arrives in Salonika
This entry was posted on January 1st, 2016.